Recycling and Waste Questions
Do you have any questions or concerns about recycling or waste in the City of Beacon? Let us know here: Recycling / Waste FAQ
The City of Beacon provides several services for residents to dispose of garbage and recycling:
- Curbside pick-up of garbage and recycling provided by Royal Carting
2. Curbside pick-up of yard waste, brush, and leaves provided by City Highway Dept.
3. Drop-off Transfer Station for bulk garbage, recyclables, and yard waste
4. Hazardous waste collection
See below for details on each service.
Curbside Pickup of Garbage and Recycling
Click here for a Complete Visual Guide to Recycling in Beacon.
The City of Beacon utilizes the single stream recycling process. Single stream material does not have to be separated and can be placed in one container. All recyclable items (bottles, cans, plastic and paper) can be placed in the recycling bin provided by Royal Carting.
All additional recycling containers should be sturdy, reusable receptacles like a plastic crate or a spare “garbage” can. Do not use plastic bags. All materials must be empty of food residue and rinsed. It is not required to remove labels from cans. Glass should not be broken.
What can be recycled?
• Glass Bottles: Juice, wine, ketchup, food and canning jars, all colors, etc.
• Metal: Canned foods, aluminum, coat hangers, pet food, food trays, etc.
• Plastic Containers: Dairy jugs, juice, water, shampoo, dish washing and laundry detergent, bleach, soda, etc.
• Mixed Paper: Newspapers, books, junk mail (including envelopes with clear plastic windows), glossy flyers and magazines, copy paper, corrugated (e.g. shipping boxes) and non-corrugated boxes (e.g. cereal and shoe boxes), construction paper, etc.
Unacceptable materials for mixed residential recycling:
Yellow and padded envelopes, overnight delivery packaging, paper towels, tissues, wipes, carbon paper, photographs, x-rays and MRIs, plastic transparencies, Styrofoam, bubble wrap, etc.
What cannot be recycled at the curb?
Metal pots, broken glass, ceramics, latex paint cans
FAQ on Trash and Recycling:
What can I do with latex paint?
Please put sawdust or kitty litter in latex paint can, let dry and dispose of in household garbage, not recycling.
What numbers on plastics are acceptable in City of Beacon Recycling?
Please disregard the numbers. Most rigid plastic bigger than a credit card can be put in the single stream recycling bin. Please dispose of your plastic utensils, Styrofoam, straws, etc. in the household garbage.
What day is my garbage picked up?
Garbage and Recycling pickup is weekly on your neighborhood’s designated trash day. Please click here for a weekly schedule by street.
Pickup is delayed by one day during weeks with the following holidays:
o New Year’s Day
o Labor Day
o Memorial Day
o July 4th
Bins: Royal Carting supplies each residence with a standardized garbage can and recycle bin.
If your household needs an additional garbage can or recycle bin, please contact the Building Department at 845-838-5020. If you would like a new sticker for your recycling bin, please stop by City Hall or the Transfer station.
Yard Waste Pickup
Grass clippings and leaves: Place leaves in brown paper leaf collection bags (or other biodegradable bags) on the curb for pickup. Plastic bags will not be accepted. Do not place dirt, rocks, mulch, branches, or garbage in the bags, they will not be picked up.
Leaves are collected by the Highway Department curbside in the spring during the month of April and in the fall from the first week of November until the first snowfall.
Bags can also be taken to the Transfer Station free-of-charge. The Transfer Station is open on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 7:30 – 2:30.
Brush: Residents should call the Highway Department at 845-831-0932 or 845-838-5028 to be placed on a list for brush pickup. Brush can be no more than four (4) inches in diameter and no longer than six (6) feet in length. Brush should be placed near the curb and piled all one way. No bulk items allowed at curbside for pickup.
Drop-off Station for Bulk Disposal (Transfer Station)
The Transfer Station provides City of Beacon residents with a drop-off facility for garbage, recyclables, yard waste, and other items (see full list below). This service is available for residents who are paid in full on their taxes.
Some items have a minimal drop-off fee. (See fee schedule.) The Transfer Station accepts personal checks for all fees.
Items accepted at the Transfer Station include:
• Appliances (Not including air conditioners and refrigerators. You can drop those off at Royal Carting’s transfer station in Hopewell Junction for a $20 fee. Please note, Central Hudson will pay customers $100 for used, working refrigerators (and up to two air conditioners per pickup, although all pickups must have a refrigerator.)
• Car batteries
• Cardboard — corrugated, paperboard, etc. (e.g. cereal boxes)
• Construction and demolition debris
• Furniture and household furnishings
• Metal, scrap (minimal fee)
• Newsprint, office paper, junk mail, magazines, catalogs
• Wood waste
• Yard waste (grass clippings may be dumped at no charge)
Items NOT accepted at the Transfer Station include:
• Household hazardous waste (including button batteries, rechargeable batteries, CFL lightbulbs, etc.) Please take CFL lightbulbs and batteries to big box hardware stores like Lowes or Home Depot.
• New or used motor oil
• Smoke detectors
Hazardous Waste Drop-off
The Dutchess County Division of Solid Waste Management will have three (3) Household Hazardous Waste and Electronics Recycling Events in 2021.
The event dates are: March 28th, June 20th and September 19th. Register online.
To register with payment by check, please call 845-463-6020 between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Registration for each event opens approximately one month prior to the date.
For disposal of household hazardous waste at other times – such as button and rechargeable batteries, CFL light bulbs, etc. – contact the Dutchess County Resource Recovery Agency (DCRRA) at 845-463-6020.
For questions about garbage and recycling, please contact the City of Beacon Highway Department, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 845-831-0932 or Royal Carting at 845-896-6000.